19 March 2010

St Patrick's Day and Beyond


Sporting the green sparkly hat at Schenker Logistics--there's my desk!! Yay!!


Silver sparkly hat gone GREEN!!


One of my English roommates, Matt, and I at the Coogee Bay!!


Me with the boys!! Matt and Dan (English housemates) and Mikey (from LA-my American partner in crime) and Gus (Aussie bloke)!!


I cannot believe that the week is almost over. Time flies when you're having fun--and when you're so busy that you barely have time to breathe!

Monday I was up at 6 am and at uni by 7. I read, studied, took notes and did research until about 2 pm, when my brain began to feel a bit fried. I walked home to get some lunch, had a shower, and went back to uni, where I got a haircut. Aussie heat has done wonders to my hair, and by wonders I mean I had the worst split ends in the world. It felt great to chop them all off--finally. Class was from 6-8, and not too bad. As I sit here writing this on Thursday night, Monday seems like such a long time ago! After class I went home to do Tuesday's reading, which I had almost already finished that morning. I was exhausted (from the weekend and the long day of studying), and passed out by midnight.

Tuesday I was up early again to squeeze in some studying before work, and Schenker Logistics consumed my life from 8-5. Actually, I finished my work a bit early that day, and so was able to squeeze in some St Patrick's day shopping before uni. I had passed by the shops on Saturday on my way to the beach and saw this amazing sparkly green hat. I NEEDED that hat for St Patrick's Day, and it was only $2!! But I had no cash on me at the time (no cards were accepted), and so I resolved to come back later and get it. Of course, by the time I finished at the beach it was closed, and Sunday I was too busy doing productive things to remember to go. I even had ALL DAY Monday to go grab it, and I was RIGHT THERE at uni, as well--but I simply forgot. So come Tuesday, I thought, perfect! I'll grab it now before uni! It was only 4 and so I had 2 hours before uni was to begin. At the shop, however, I was DEVASTATED to discover that they were all out. Of COURSE they were, though, it was the day before St Patrick's Day! I have no idea what I was thinking. I tried a shop across the road, but they were all out, as well. It pretty much ruined my day, not having that hat, and I didn't know what to do. I set out down Coogee Bay Road, DETERMINED to have an obnoxious accessory to go with my awesome new green dress. (I'm so American, I even gross myself out sometimes.) For the next 45 minutes I walked up and down CBR, peeking into shops and browsing through party sections of stores in a quest for a sparkly green hat or the equivalent. Nothing. It was soon 5:15, and I knew that the original shop closed at 5:30. I dashed back up the hill (CBR-grim) with a solution in mind, and huffed my way into the store juuust before they were pulling the gates down. Two minutes later, I walked out of the store with a SILVER sparkly hat and a can of green spray paint. Total cost: $5. Score!!! Uni was better this week than last (Writing for Media) and we even got out a bit early. Once home, I undertook Project GREEN HAT and to my delight, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!! See pictures above. I then finished all of my reading for Wednesday (A+ for responsibility) and went to sleep shortly after midnight.

Wednesday--HAPPY SAINT PATRICK'S DAY!!! I wore a green shirt to work, WITH my sparkly green hat :) See picture above. I did get lots of strange looks, as apparently not everyone remembered that it was the day of Saint Patrick?! Weird! Lots of compliments, though, as well. Oh, AND my workmate Matthew brought me in a bottle of his HOMEMADE BREWED BEER!!! I had some of it later and it is absolutely DELICIOUS. I want him to open up his own brewery and let me be his marketing manager :) After work, I had class from 6-8. Brilliant! I love public relations, and public relations loves me! Class kind of dragged on, as I was pretty keen to get my night going, but it was still great. We broke into small groups and conducted a mini-campaign..I rocked it, naturally. Group spokeswoman and everything. HDs here I come!

I was home around 8 on the dot, and to my dismay found an empty house waiting for me. Soon my housemates trickled in, however, with Matt finally arriving home from the library around 10 pm. By then I'd been enjoying some wine with Dan and was just about ready to go out, but we waited for him and took off shortly after that. To the Coogee Bay Hotel, and BEYOND!! OK, so maybe it is a little lame. I had every intention of going to the city and doing something cool, buttttt I figured all of the Irish pubs would be crowded (this country IS 10% Irish-Australians; did you know that?), plus the Coogee Bay is close to home. No bus, no cab, no getting lost. A straight shot down Coogee Bay Road, and I'm home! All in all, the CBH is always a great idea :) My hat was a HUGE hit at the pub. Dan, Matt and I were the only ones of the house to go (PS: new roommate! Australian 19 year old female-more on this later) but as soon as we got there I found some friends I hadn't been expecting to see. Mikey and Gus!! I also caught up with my mate Juan, who works at Coogee Ink up the road. It turned out that everyone already knew each other, so the night only got better. I learned later that my mate Cameron was there as well, the whole entire time, but we never ran into other. See what I mean!? The Coogee Bay is always a good time! (Just like Good Time Charleys...sniff..sniff. Miss it!) We all had a great catch up, beers, Jack and cokes...and eventually tequila shots toward the end of the evening. All of this on a Wednesday! It was a fantastic night though, with lots of green and good times all around. Happy St Patrick's Day from Australia!!

No comments:

Post a Comment