27 October 2009

Huge Spider




Gross---this creature was waiting for me in my apartment today when I got home. Ah, Australia.

I had my Yamaha Music interview (part 3 of 6) this arvo, and it was quite odd. It was a group interview, with about 20 of us there. The director said we were chosen from over 100 candidates, so that was cool. The catch: only 3 of us will get call-backs in the next four days and move onto the next parts of the application (class observation, then interview, then audition).

We were divided into 5 groups of four. The first five minutes were introductory nonsense, then we did a musical exercise similar to what we'd do with a group of 3 1/2-4 1/2 year olds. Then we were each give a piece of paper with a question on it, and had three minutes to complete it. There were only a few questions between the 20 of us, and mine was "If you were stranded on a desert island, what five items would you like to have with you?" Other questions were "If you had seven days to live, what five things would you do?" ...etc, etc. It was a bit ridiculous. I did NOT feel like I was in an interview, and I did not feel that my skills and attributes were being measured accordingly. I suppose Yamaha has their own ways of evaluating their candidates, but I sure wish I knew what those were. I was constantly wondering what exactly they were looking for, and could not for the life of me think of what they wanted me to do/say/act. In the end, I was just honest.

The next activity was even more ridiculous...each group had a "problem" and we had to come up with a "solution" and then act it out. Again, what were they looking for? Creative ways of solving problems? Ability to perform/speak in front of others? Sure. But they way they went about it was just...interesting. Finally there was a closing speech (powerpoint, of course) about the position and the audition and details like that. I was very disappointed in the entire process, and I have absolutely no idea how I did. Only time will tell, and luckily that time will end in four days.

No comments:

Post a Comment