13 November 2009

Yamaha FINAL interview/audition + huge dog


Massive dog outside the palace

Today I had my Yamaha audition, and it went...???? I can't really say because I don't know what the competition was like. Were other applicants playing Beethoven sonatas, instead of my pathetic Mozart Sonata in D? Was that asian girl waiting before me in mental preparation for a Chopin Etude, compared to my lame Bach Prelude and Fugue? I have no idea. I played to the best of my ability, and my practicing paid off. I let my expressiveness shine though in the Mozart, since Yamaha emphasizes their desire for "expressiveness." I nailed the singing/playing song the had me prepare ("Sky Games") and actually really enjoyed preparing the piece more than I expected to. I miss singing; maybe next semester I'll try to get back in the UNSW choir. The sight-reading was BRILLIANT! I've always been a good sight reader, and I'm thrilled that my nerves didn't prevent me from doing my best. Unfortunately, I really, really mucked up the sight singing. I ended up in a completely different key than I started :( Other than that, I think it went pretty well. The personal interview was ok, though of COURSE (as I always do) I thought of much better answers and comments on the way home. I'm absolutely terrible at saying what I want to say, how I want to say it, at the moment I want to say it. Hopefully this masters in communications will help fix that...

Overall, I think it went well. They questioned my availability for the three Yamaha locations in the Sydney area, and I had no idea where the third place was in relation to my apartment. They actually took the time to find a map book and look it up! They (there were two interviewers) said that they hadn't had a single person all day (I was the last audition) that was available in that particular location. They figured I was about 40 minutes away from it, but afterwards I found out that I was more like twenty. Damn, if only I'd known that! I find out mid-next week the results of my audition. I'll be massively disappointed if I don't get it, but I'll understand. They only need three Yamaha music teachers in the entire Sydney area. THREE. I figured my odds are about 3/16, after a few miscalculations previously. Over 100 applicants were phone interviewed, but I forgot that there were TWO group interviews, each with 20. Also, I thought that 3 were chosen from each group, which is wrong. Three are chosen in total at the end of the entire process. So I think about 16 were chosen to interview/audition, 8 from each group, because I know there was just one day of auditioning and they were half an hour each. At the start of it all, I began with a 3% chance that I would become a Yamaha teacher, with 3 people chosen out of the 100+ applicants. After phone interviews, I beat 40% odds, 40 out of 100+ chosen for the group interview. After the group interview, I beat 40% odds again, 16 of 40 chosen to audition/interview. Now I have to beat 18.75% odds, with 3 chosen of the 16 to become a Yamaha teacher. My fingers are crossed. I want it.

After the audition, I went to $10 pizza at the Palace night with Chris Ohio, and also met up with Rob, one of Chris' friends. It was a glorious night, as I was finally able to enjoy Pure Blonds (that's a beer) guilt-free!! Oh, and we saw this GINORMOUS dogs outside, and Chris Ohio ruthlessly grabbed my phone and snapped photos. Shameless, those kids from Ohio!

Speaking of crazy kids from Ohio, I happened to jot down some memorable quotes from the "writer" himself, during on Thursday Pizza at the Palace session...

(when asked which door he was referring to)
"The door that opens."

(when asked how old the girl was)
"She was...young."

(no context necessary)
"Maybe I'll name my kid...syllabic."

"It pops out." (OK, so I have no idea why I wrote this down. Apparently, it was funny at the time.)

Right.....welp, he sure can communicate!

No comments:

Post a Comment